New Leaf Symbiotics (NLS), an agricultural biologicals company is looking for a Formulations Scientist with experience in the formulation of microorganisms as live microbial products and/or production of microbes for industrial processes. NLS company headquarters and laboratories are located at the BRDG Park facility at the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, in St. Louis, Missouri. We are seeking an individual with a passion for sustainable agriculture and biological solutions, who will be responsible for the development of new microbial based products.
Formulation Scientist Responsibilities and Duties:
- Grow and harvest bacteria using aseptic technique to create and maintain research material as needed.
- Assist with the development of new formulations for microbial products.
- Assist with the creation of spray-dried powders, dry granules, seed treatment formulations, and stabilized liquid formulations; aqueous suspensions, SCs, ECs and micro-emulsions.
- Conduct stability studies, tank mix compatibility studies, rain-fastness, spray-ability, adjuvant compatibility, and other studies to ensure the commercial viability of formulated products.
- In collaboration with the Fermentation group assist with downstream processing experiments – filtration, centrifugation, evaporation, lyophilization, spray drying, granulation, fluidized bed, rheology, particle size analysis, etc.
- Maintain detailed records of experimental data and perform preliminary data analysis
- Create and troubleshoot protocols as needed
- Collect data and perform analysis
- Assist with general lab maintenance duties including media and solution preparation, general equipment maintenance, cleanliness and organization of the laboratory, and dishwashing as needed
- Assist with other related lab and greenhouse projects as needed to help NewLeaf Symbiotics meet its objectives
- An MS or PhD Degree(s) in Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry or a related field.
- 6 or more years’ experience in a commercial or academic research laboratory environment in the field of microbiology, biochemistry, organic chemistry, microbial fermentation, industrial microbiology, or microbial formulation with an emphasis in microbial applications in agriculture.
- 0-4 years industrial experience in development of biologically-based products in the food, agrichemical or specialty chemical industry is highly preferred.
- Formulation development background, knowledge of agricultural chemistries typically applied to seed, and knowledge of application techniques in agriculture is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with fermentation, microbial growth characterization, formulation of biological products and knowledge of application technologies (granulation, emulsion, encapsulation) highly recommended.
- Energetic and self-motivated individual able to work in a team environment with relentlessly progressing schedules.
- Knowledge of general techniques and principles in microbiology and chemistry
- Ability and desire to work independently as well as in a collaborative team-environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, problem solving skills, and detail-oriented
About NewLeaf Symbiotics:
NewLeaf Symbiotics is an agricultural biologicals company that discovers, develops, produces, and commercializes products containing beneficial plant microbes. NewLeaf was founded in 2013 at the Danforth Plant Science Center in St. Louis, and has raised over $50 million in venture capital. Its team has grown to 40+ members including 12 PhD scientists. NewLeaf has filed over 75 patents, has 15 products in its pipeline, and in 2017 introduced its first two products in the US, Terrasym 401 for soybeans and Terrasym 402 for peanuts.
Please send a cover letter and CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Formulations Scientist, Product Development.
References required upon request.