Staff Scientist: Molecular Biology & Microbiology
NewLeaf Symbiotics is seeking a motivated Staff Scientist to conduct research aimed at developing plant-associated bacteria as drop-in solutions for agriculture. The company is a fast-paced and exciting startup company engaged in the discovery, development, formulation, and commercialization of products based on naturally occurring, beneficial plant-associated bacteria.
The company headquarters and laboratories are located in the BRDG Park facility of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, in the Creve Coeur area of St. Louis, Missouri.
- Design and conduct laboratory research in molecular biology, microbiology, bacterial genetics and plant-microbe interactions both independently and in collaboration with others
- Ability to supervise research associates
- Prepare and communicate protocols, reports and analyses regularly to the team and NLS leadership
- Remain current in literature in discipline, and create and design new methods to advance company goals
- Assist with other related lab and greenhouse projects as needed to help NewLeaf Symbiotics meet its R&D objectives
- Educational requirements are a Ph.D. with 2+ years (or outstanding M.Sc. with 5+ years or B.S. with 10+ years) of academic and/or industrial in one or more areas related to molecular biology, microbiology, bacterial genetics, metagenomics, plant-microbe interactions or microbial ecology
- Based on genomics and phenomics data, ability to design hypotheses to test in the laboratory/greenhouse/field to support our product pipelines
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented individual with excellent problem-solving, oral and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to work independently as well as in a collaborative and cross functional team-environment (plant biology, field biology, product development, data sciences)
- Proficiency at multi-tasking and prioritization of assignments in a fast-paced and often changing research environment
- Proficiency in molecular biology techniques including
- DNA/RNA extractions, cloning, RT-PCR, qPCR, and PCR techniques
- Novel vector construction skills preferred
- Computational biology skills an advantage
- Able to work in growth chamber, greenhouse settings and participate in occasional field sampling trips
NewLeaf Symbiotics offers competitive salary and benefits. Qualified candidates should submit a single file to email@example.com that includes a detailed cover letter explaining qualifications for and interest in the position, thorough CV or resumé (>1 page is acceptable), and complete contact information for three professional references.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED